I am incredibly pleased to say that we are one step closer to making With A Little Help From Our Friends! I say one step, however, this week a couple of steps have gone forward and the film is looking like it is definitely going to happen which is exciting because for awhile there I didn’t think it was going to get off the ground.
Firstly, we have a Director of Photography – my friend Jamie has been foolish or brave enough to agree to shoot the film for me. I’ve actually blogged about him before (here and here) and I really love the style he shoots his work in. All the work I’ve seen of his has an almost dream-like quality to it but still manages to balance the real world within the frame as well. I’m looking forward to talking to him further about the kind of style I’d like for WALHFOF, but at the same time I trust his judgment as a cinematographer and a filmmaker and am confident that we’re going to get some absolutely gorgeous images come shoot days.
Secondly, it looks as though we’ve got our location. We’re still waiting on confirmation of dates, but it seems to be a goer. I mentioned here a few weeks ago about the issues we were having finding locations and then spoke in last week’s post about how we were going to tackle a workaround. Jack spoke to the drama school that he had access to and the two of us went on a recce to check the place out on Saturday evening. It’s a really great location and very filming friendly in that it’s quite big with lots of rooms for alternative locations if we need them. There were three rooms that I walked into and immediately knew I wanted to shoot there because it was so visually interesting. Jack is speaking to them to confirm their dates of availability and hopefully we’ll lock something in and away we’ll go!
The shift in location from university to drama school has meant that I’ve had to rewrite the script with the new locations in mind. This, to be honest (and to my relief), wasn’t that difficult. I’d expected it to be a lot harder but the new locations slipped into place really easily. I had to adjust some of the dialogue to fit, changed what the characters were doing in the scenes – from studying books to learning lines etc – and it still stands pretty strongly on its own two feet.
Craig, Jack and I got together on Sunday and had a meeting to touch base on where we are currently at. Craig is confident he can slash the estimated budget we’d been toying with in half, based on our contacts and skills at doing something for nothing. A massive coup came from the fact that we will not have to pay location fees! Because Jack knows the owners of the school quite well and has done a lot of filming in the past, they’re willing to give the location to us for free as long as we work around them with shoot dates. Seems more than reasonable to me. See, low-budget filmmaking is all about cashing in on favours and networking – they’re not lying! Jack is also looking for a space to hold auditions in the first week of September. I’m writing up monologues for the actors who audition to learn that have more of an idea of the character and the type of person that they’re playing and sussing out which other crew roles we might need moving forward.
All in all, a pretty productive week!
Stay tuned to see what chaos unfolds next – as it always does!